I was looking at Yingting’s December 2007 post (I know I’m weird) and I couldn’t help laughing at every picture we took that YT added ‘Wish you were here!’ to.
I did some thinking yesterday (more like 2 weeks ago now), and even more today after reading (some of) YT’s archives. Not that I only realize it now, but I thought, again, how important these girls I practically grew up with are to me.
Much as we don’t hang out every Friday anymore, don’t talk much anymore, bitch about each other at times, have had cold wars with each other before, they still matter a hell lot to me.
Things might not be like what they were a year ago – last year really has to be the best I’ve had – but I’m glad that, once, I had something so special, and friends who cared so much for me.
As quoted from YT: “Many guy friends come and go..with just a handful still in contact, and I'm still ever so glad to have my bestest girls around, for me to turn to in times of difficulties. You have no idea just how much each and every one of them mean to me.”
Everyone’s changed. Some for the better, some for the worst. It makes me upset when I see someone transforming so badly, it’s scary, especially when that he/she matters a lot to me. But no matter what, I guess it’s really important to love someone for who he/she is, and not judge her. I so need to get this into my head and put it to practice.
Over the year, there are things I wish I could undo so other things wouldn’t change, but then again, it’s through mistakes that we all learn, so, if none of these had happened, I probably wouldn’t be who I am today. One thing can really lead to another. Just recall any one incident, and think of what has happened starting from that occurrence.
So let’s look back on the past 11 months of year 2008, shall we?
January
Was probably one of the better months of the first half of ’08. Somehow my strongest impression of that month is roasting a chicken which was uncooked at the bottom after being in the oven for more than an hour because we didn’t know how the oven worked. I had everything I wanted; someone who told me he loved me, great friends (think Christine, Debbie, Jie, YT etc), and my family. I went to Causeway Point for the first time, feeling like a lost kid in Malaysia. And I became Dd’s princess in shining umbrella.
February
I was single. It was a bittersweet Chinese New Year. Drama, drama. YT and I celebrated Valentine’s Day together, which was still a pretty sweet affair even though it was just us two girls. This month started a non-stop series of weekly clubbing, and the most unpredictable aftermaths. Part of me became someone I didn’t like at all.
(funny how YT’s hair is still of the same length)
March
Every Wednesday on my organiser read ‘Zouk’. Zouk with the Elites, Zouk with Winner, YT, Joanne, Christine, Zouk with the long haired dudes, Zouk with more people. Thinking back, I wonder how I had that kind of energy. Clubbing seemed like a form of escapism. I always thought, just party away and you wont have to think about anything bugging you. But things always happened and didn’t end up being like that. Zouk went on non-stop for 8 Wednesdays.
April
I started getting busy giving tuition. Damn tiring. Had lessons to give almost every other day. During this month, Christine and I met up almost every day, but I don’t think we got sick of each other. All we did was whine, and ponder about the same stuff, every day man. Ooh and we went to Genting. This month put a huge full stop to my relationship, and relationships.
May
With no more guy problems (or maybe I finally decided what a prick I was brooding over what was supposed to end long ago), my closest friends and family took top priority. I learnt to see how important they were. Yingting celebrated her birthday at East Coast!BuffetsuicidealleyikeabuffetSTEVEAOKIindianajonesbuffetzoukzouk.
June
Term Break. My organiser reads Zouk on every Wednesday’s slot. Thu & Sat, tuition. Sunday, as usual, was for the family and other nights were spent watching dvds, the Euro Cup and having supper with Justin, Maxi, etc. Oh I went to Botak’s comm ball. Speaking of which, he hasn’t passed me the photos. Wah, 6 months already leh. Time doesn’t fly anymore. It disappears.
July

My birthday! Not as great as the last, but still good enough then. Christine and I ended our cold war, saw many people at zouk that night and I felt pretty happy at the end of the night. Loraine came back from Aussie too!
Tuition, tuition and more tuition. I gave lessons 5 days a week. Chiong only. Damn tiring and I almost didn’t have a life anymore. But it’s satisfying when you see your students call you to tell of their improved grades. And, of course, when you check your bank account every 4 weeks.
I felt crazy one day and spent one afternoon with myself, chopping off my hair and going for bangs.
Met and stopped meeting some nice people because things turned un-nice and nobody bothered to. You disappeared, friend, though I didn’t try getting you to stay.
August



2 highlights of the month: SINGFEST 2008 & the NIKE HUMAN RACE. One of my achievements this year, even though it was only 10km. Hey, I’ve never run so much before ok.
Studied, the exams came, got over and done with. Met Stefanie and HX quite abit, taking loads of silly pictures each time.
September
The start of SIP made life boring instantly. I felt/feel so old working 9-6, being too lethargic to do anything much after work. I’m no longer allowed to wear my skirts and dresses, flipflops even. But fret not, the flipflop life is returning! Although I’m gonna miss working here and the wonderful people in the office when internship ends :[ If there was one thing that I was willing to give up my rest for, it had to be ROCKBAND at mark’s! Simply addictive, ‘nuff said.
October
Attended Amber’s concert! She looked damn adorable. My favourite little girl. Went on many girl dates, Fright Night by SIM which was really movie night that caused a butt ache. The walk that started way too late was pretty enjoyable anyway, even though I made a lot of noise.
Halloween with Andy, Edmund, Cherie, Christine, Kate etc. Friggin crowded night that almost got me knocked out.
November & December





Very stagnant life. Work, dinner with Christine, shopping with Huixian & Stefanie etc. Potluck-ed! At my place with the girls + Amber.
Obama became president, and an economy crisis erupted. How to find job now? I’m considering selling 2nd hand mobile phones now.
Eggciting events & gatherings w Xavier&co like the iCare event, picnic whooooo! Zouk-ed out, visited the SG flyer, Christmas flew by, and it’s NYE! Look at that. It’s a new year again.
No fireworks at Marina Square this year, but I’ll be at Changi Beach with m0i gUd fWeNzXz.
After going through a year like this, what’s next year gonna bring? I’m sure it won’t be as tough as this year’s been in any way.
This will sound fuckin' contradicting: Much as it hasn't been one of the best years (not even close), I don't want it to end and welcome 2009.
HAPPY NEW YEAR, ALL! \o/
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
The long road
Posted by
Amelia Sim
at
12:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment